How to resolve student concerns

Resolution for any academic or non-academic student complaint at Mason is best achieved through the designated offices listed below. Please reach out to those offices to file complaints and appeals. All inquiries conducted via email must be communicated through your official Mason email account.

Informal Grievances

Students who have inquiries or questions about potential complaints can contact the offices below.

  • Office of the Ombudsman. Mason’s Office of the Ombudsman acts as a unique resource for students to discuss concerns and complaints. As an impartial party, the Ombudsman does not take sides in any conflict and operates independently of any formal university channels. Visit the Ombudsman’s website for more information.
  • Office of Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics (CDE). Discuss options with an office representative and receive assistance in filing an informal or formal complaint. Visit the CDE website for more information.

Formal Grievances

For information and next steps on filing formal grievances, please refer to the resources and offices listed below.

Grade Appeals

Academic Integrity


Reasonable Accommodation

Sexual Harassment and Misconduct

If an issue cannot be resolved by the university’s internal processes, students may file a formal complaint with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) at

Online Students from Out-of-State NC-SARA Approved Institution Round Logo

George Mason University works with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) to resolve complaints that fall under the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA). On October 17, 2014, the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB) approved Virginia as a member state to participate in NC-SARA.

This allows participating Virginia colleges and universities to offer distance-learning programs and courses to residents of member states without seeking state-by-sta
te approval. The agreement also provides enhanced quality assurance and consumer protection to Virginia residents taking distance-learning programs from other member state institutions.

For any Mason Online concerns or complaints, please contact


Need to learn more?

Have questions about online learning, enrollment, or degree programs?

Request Info