Getting Started in 3 Easy Steps
STEP 1: ACTIVATE YOUR MASON ACCOUNTS
Mason Username and Password
You will need your Mason username (NetID) and password to take online courses at Mason. Use Patriot Pass to activate your NetID or reset a password. Your Patriot Pass username and password will be your log-in for Blackboard, University Libraries, MasonLive, myMason, Patriot Web, and more.
MasonLive (Student Email)
Follow these instructions to set up your MasonLive email account. Students are responsible for the content sent to their university email account, so be sure to activate your account and check it regularly. Faculty will only communicate with you through your MasonLive account.
ITS Support Center
STEP 2: SET UP YOUR COMPUTER FOR ONLINE LEARNING
Getting Started with Blackboard
How do I access my Blackboard courses?
All Blackboard courses are now available in the myMason Portal. After logging into http://mymason.gmu.edu, you will click on the Courses Tab at the top right. A Course List will display.” Click on a course link to open it
Where can I find help on using Blackboard at Mason?
What Blackboard Training and Technology Support is available?
- Are you looking for quick help about Blackboard? Watch Student Help Videos >
- Supported Browser for Blackboard »
- Known Blackboard Issues »
- If you cannot log in to myMason please contact the ITS Support Center at (703) 993-8870 or reset your Mason NetID password at http://password.gmu.edu
- For walk in support, visit the Collaborative Learning Hub in the Johnson Center, Room 311 or call (703) 993-3141.
- If you have additional questions regarding Blackboard or other course tools, please select the Contact Us tab at the top of Courses Support. Allow 24 hours for a response.
- Free software is available to students to download at itservices.gmu.edu/downloads. Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus is available to students at no cost via the Microsoft Student Advantage program. To download visit masonlive2.gmu.edu/MicrosoftStudentAdvantage.
- Software with educational discounts is available at Patriot Tech. Visit the Patriot Tech eStore.
STEP 3: GET FAMILIAR WITH IT SECURITY AT MASON
Antivirus Software License
Protect your computer from viruses by downloading the latest free version of antivirus software at itservices.gmu.edu/downloads. Set it to update virus definitions daily.
IT Security Office
The IT Security Office provides information, current tools, and guidelines to keep your computer secure. For information on how to keep your computer and information protected, go to itsecurity.gmu.edu.
Responsible Use of Computing
All users of Mason’s computing resources must abide by the Responsible Use of Computing Policy found at universitypolicy.gmu.edu/policies/responsible-use-of-computing.